Safe and Sound: 25 tips to help you stay safe in your home
Below are 25 safety tips to get you thinking about ways to stay safe and secure in your home.
Check out this recent article on Fire Safety Tips. Remember, In an emergency situation where your safety or someone else’s safety is at risk, please call 9-1-1 immediately. You can reach Calgary Police Service on their non-emergency line at 403-266-1234 if you see something suspicious. To report an anonymous crime tip, please call the Calgary Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.
- Shut your blinds at night so others cannot see into your home.
- Use lights and noise so that people think you are home when you aren't.
- Get to know your neighbours so they can look out for you.
- Join your neighborhood watch.
- Make sure to lock your doors when you aren't home, as well as when you are.
- Apartment buildings: do not let strangers tailgate through secure doors or let them in with your intercom system.
- Don't open your door before finding out who is there. Check through a peep hole or window first where possible.
- Remind children not answer the door at all unless you’ve explicitly told them that you are expecting company.
- Secure sliding glass doors by using a metal or wood rod to reinforce the door.
- Don't hide a key to your home outside. Give backup keys only to people you know and trust.
Home Safety for Kids
- Teach your children not to open the front door.
- Make sure your children know what to do in an emergency.
- Make sure your children practice safe behaviours around heat sources and dangerous objects.
- Teach your child their home address and telephone number and parents’ full names.
- Teach your child when and how to dial and request help from emergency services.
- Lock up medicines, drugs and other hazardous materials.
First Aid and Emergency Safety
- Keep a First Aid Kit Handy. [First Aid Kit Checklist from the Government of Canada]
- Learn how to do basic first aid and CPR. [Check out this CEMA page for more info]
- Prepare a 72-hour emergency.
- Keep a supply of emergency food and water.
- Keep your passwords protected and don't use the same password in multiple places.
- Secure your wireless network at home.
- Password protect your cell phone.
- Do not keep all your important ID in your wallet.
- Do keep important documents in a fire proof box.