Affordable Housing Matters
Make it an Issue in the Federal Election
*Statistics from City of Calgary Housing in Calgary: An Inventory of Housing Supply, 2015-2016
CHC's Strategic Response
Calgary Housing Company is a part of the Community Housing Affordability Collective (CHAC), the collective engine for improving housing affordability in Calgary through cross-sector collaboration and community-based advocacy.
CHC aligns with the following principles released by CHAC:
Housing Affordability: Shared Responsibility
- Financial constraints are impacting everyone, which is why organizations across the spectrum including not-for-profit and private sector providers are collaborating to demonstrate maximum return on investment.
- We are committed to continued cross-sector collaboration to ensure efficient and effective delivery of affordable housing solutions.
- Government collaboration between ministries and among orders of government can enhance the delivery of affordable housing by aligning processes, reducing red tape and fostering improved access to existing capital funds.
The National Housing Strategy is a Good First Step
- We need the Federal government to hold existing funding commitments steady to allow for certainty and stability as we actively work to address the need for affordable housing in Calgary.
- Continued implementation of the National Housing Strategy is critical, given the need that exists today. This means:
- Holding funding commitments steady
- Making land available
- Ensuring municipalities receive their fair share
- Speeding up approval process to access funding
- Reviewing criteria limiting organizations from accessing funding
Links to major party websites
The following are general housing and election information pages from a variety of different organizations. Information is provided as a resource to allow voters to explore various perspectives on the issue of Affordable Housing. Inclusion of any content does not imply endorsement of that content by Calgary Housing Company.
- YYC Matters - City of Calgary position on Election issues
- City of Calgary - Affordable Housing
- City of Calgary - Corporate Affordable Housing Strategy
- CHAC - Community Housing Affordability Collective
- ANPHA - Alberta Network of Public Housing Agencies
- CHRA - Canadian Housing and Renewal Association
- A Home for Everyone - CHRA federal housing issues brochure
- APHAA - Alberta Public Housing Administrators' Association
- Homeless Hub - How to Get Homelessness Prevention on the Election Agenda
- National Union of Public & General Employees (NUPGE) - Campaign Fact Sheet - Affordable Housing