Christmas Hampers offer Help to Families in Need
As the winter months approach, you may already have Christmas on your mind. For families with fewer resources, putting food on the table and sharing in the magic of gift giving can be stressful. Fortunately there are many agencies in Calgary that run programs to help families during the holiday season.
If you are finding yourself in need this year, there are several ways to get help. You can reach out to your doctor, to teachers, social workers, police officers or nurses and they can assist with a referral to local agencies for things such as Christmas hampers. You can also call 2-1-1 and they will direct you to assistance (did you know you can call 2-1-1 anytime you need information on where you can go for help?) Some local agencies also host parties throughout the holiday season. Most of these programs require a referral from local agencies.
Some of the programs and activities available are:
- Salvation Army - Christmas Hamper Program: Book an appointment to meet with the Salvation Army to sign up for their hamper program and learn about other activities by calling (403) 410-1158. Appointment locations depend on the part of the city in which you live.
- The Magic of Christmas - Gift Program: Every Christmas Eve, the Magic of Christmas delivers Christmas spirit into the homes and hearts of those who need it most. Families must obtain a referral form (from a doctor, teacher, social worker, police officer or nurse) before they can be added to Santa’s list. Forms are available between October 15 and December 18.
- Kinette Club - Adopt-a-Family: The Adopt-a-Family program provides Christmas hampers to low income families. Families are referred to the Kinette Club of Calgary by counsellors working in recognized social service agencies. Eligible families cannot have received a hamper from the program in the past three years.
- Closer to Home - Adopt-a-Family:
- Calgary Sun - Adopt-a-Family: Families are referred through the Salvation Army Family Services Office at (403) 220-0432
- North East Calgary Adopt-a-Family: Families are referred by Community Resource Centres. Please contact the Resource Centre in your community and arrange for an interview.
- Our Lady Queen of Peace Ranch Christmas Party: Annual Christmas Party in December. Families are bussed out to the ranch and taken care of for the day. A referral is required for this program. You can find more here. Referring agencies include: The Candora Society, Elizabeth Fry Society, Women In Need, Calgary Urban Project Society, Inn from the Cold and more.
There are many more groups and agencies that offer help during the holidays as well as throughout the rest of the year. If you have questions or are looking for assistance with a referral, please reach out to your Tenant Liaison.