RentSmart Course for CHC Tenants and Applicants
RentSmart is a course designed to help tenants know and understand their rights and responsibilities when renting a home. It is a housing readiness model that gives participants the skills and knowledge to be great tenants and positively impact housing stability. Calgary Housing Company offers the RentSmart course to applicants and tenants free of charge. The sessions also include a light meal before class each week.
To learn more about RentSmart, please visit: www.readytorentbc.org/rent-smart
About the Course
The course is 12 hours long divided into six modules, delivered over 6 weeks with one two hour class on the same day each week.
- Module 1: The Importance of Home
- Module 2: Applying for Housing
- Module 3: Rights, Responsibilities and Expectations
- Module 4: Managing Finances
- Module 5: Communicating Effectively
- Module 6: Taking Care of Your Home
Additional information is provided on community resources.
Why take the Rent Smart Course?
The RentSmart course will not only teach you things you need to keep in mind to be a successful tenant, he RentSmart certificate can also act as a reference when you apply to rent a place. It lets landlords know you care about being a good tenant.
RentSmart covers the following topics:
- Tenant rights and responsibilities
- Landlord responsibilities and expectations
- Tenancy, human rights and privacy laws
- Roommates and neighbours
- Budgeting and keeping housing affordable
- Effective communication
- Maintenance dos and don’ts
- Fire and safety
- Community resources
Email or call us today to sign up for one of the upcoming courses (depending on availability), or to get added to the mailing list for future RentSmart course offerings!
Class time: 6:30 – 8:30pm
Location: Shaganappi Village 3528 Balsam Dr, South Resource Room
To Register for RentSmart, or for more information, please call (587) 390-1314 or email firstname.lastname@example.org