Temporary Rent Assistance Benefit

Temporary Rent Assistance Program (TRAB)

The Temporary Rent Assistance Benefit (TRAB) is a new rent assistance program, designed to help make rent with a private landlord more affordable.

Recipient households live in private rental homes and receive a temporary monthly benefit amount to help make their rent more affordable. Calgary Housing Company is not the landlord in this program.

TRAB is for households living within the Calgary City Limits. It is a two-year benefit program for working households or for those in between jobs. It is designed for households who may have trouble receiving priority for regular Rental Assistance Benefit (RAB) or community housing but still need help making their housing affordable.

CHC is administering TRAB on behalf of the Government of Alberta.

Frequently Asked Questions

How much is TRAB?

The TRAB amount is a flat subsidy rate varying based on household size. The TRAB program offers up to two-years of benefits that decrease by 20% in the second year. After the first year, program participants are required to submit information for review to determine Year Two eligibility.

The rates are set by the Government of Alberta annually.

Who is eligible?

To be eligible for TRAB, you must meet criteria set out in the Social Housing Accommodation Regulation including:

  • Be in core housing need.
    • living in inadequate, unsuitable, or unaffordable housing
    • income levels such that they cannot afford suitable housing in their community
    • income levels below thresholds set out by the province
  • Have a total asset value of $25,000 or less.
  • Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident (except for those who are under a private sponsorship arrangement), convention refugee, an individual who has applied for refugee or immigration status and private sponsorship has broken down.
  • Households must currently be employed or have worked in the past 24 months (2 years) at the time of application. Eligible forms of income for those who have worked in the past 24 months but may now be unemployed include:
    • Employment Insurance, Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB), and the Canada Recovery Benefit are eligible.

You can read more details about those criteria by reviewing our TRAB Overview Information Sheet.

Who is not eligible?

You are not eligible for TRAB if:

  • You or anyone in the household are receiving social assistance including
    • Income Support,
    • Learner Income Support,
    • Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped,
    • Alberta Seniors Benefit,
    • Guaranteed Income Supplement or
    • Old Age Security.
  • You already receive rental assistance such as RAB (formerly DRS) or are living in social housing.

How do I apply?

Click here to download the application form.

You can email your completed application to: chcapplicant@calgary.ca.

When will I get the benefit?

Benefits are provided after an application has been submitted and approved. Program funding is limited – not all qualified applicants can be approved.

Applicants who are approved into the program receive their benefits on or before the first day of each month.

How long can I receive benefits?

TRAB is a two-year program. Successful applicants will qualify for the first year benefit after which Calgary Housing Company (CHC) will conduct an income review to confirm continued eligibility.

After two years TRAB ends. If you still need assistance you can reapply for TRAB. Applications, including those submitted by previous recipients, will be reviewed on a first-come first-served basis.

Who is my landlord?

Your landlord will be the individual or organization with whom you have a tenancy agreement. Calgary Housing Company (CHC) is not the landlord.

Your agreement with CHC is only for the Temporary Rental Assistance Benefit program.

For more information…

Please email our office at chcapplicant@calgary.ca or call (587) 390-1200 if you have any additional questions about the Temporary Rental Assistance Benefit (TRAB) program.

Additional information

Temporary Rent Assistance Benefit (TRAB) Overview – find out more about receiving a Temporary Rent Assistance Benefit.
Temporary Rent Assistance Benefit (TRAB) Frequently Asked Questions

Thank you for your feedback. If you are trying to reach Calgary Housing Company Customer Service, please call (587) 390-1200. PLEASE NOTE - Submissions using this form will be addressed on the next business day. For regular maintenance service or maintenance emergencies, please call Customer Service at (587) 390-1200. If you have a non-maintenance emergency, please call 9-1-1.