Christmas Hampers offer Help to Families in Need
Are you worried about being able to being the joy of the Holiday Season to your home this year?
As the winter months approach, you may already have Christmas on your mind. For families with fewer resources, putting food on the table and sharing in the magic of gift giving can be stressful. Fortunately there are many agencies in Calgary that run programs to help families during the holiday season.
If you are finding yourself in need this year, there are several ways to get help. You can reach out to your doctor, to teachers, social workers, police officers or nurses and they can assist with a referral to local agencies for things such as Christmas hampers. You can also call 2-1-1 and they will direct you to assistance (did you know you can call 2-1-1 anytime you need information on where you can go for help?) Some local agencies also host parties throughout the holiday season. Most of these programs require a referral from local agencies.
Some of the programs and activities available are:
- The Mustard Seed Christmas Hamper: To speak with a Hamper Coordinator, please call 403-767-2805 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Salvation Army - Christmas Hamper Program: Book an appointment to meet with the Salvation Army to sign up for their hamper program and learn about other activities by calling (403) 410-1158. Appointment locations depend on the part of the city in which you live.
- Calgary Food Bank Food Hampers: Call 403-253-2055 to request a hamper. Monday to Thursday: 10:30 am – 7:15 pm and Friday: 10:30 am – 3:30 pm
- Kinette Club - Adopt-a-Family: The Adopt-a-Family program provides
- The Alexandra Centre Society Christmas Hampers: Referral from a social worker or service agency is required. Talk to your Tenant Liaison and ask them to contact the Alexandra Centre Society for the referral form.
- The Magic of Christmas - Gift Program: Every Christmas Eve, the Magic of Christmas delivers Christmas spirit into the homes and hearts of those who need it most. Ask your tenant liaison for a referral (or you can get one from a doctor, teacher, social worker, police officer or nurse). Referrals are available between October 15 and December 18.
- Christmas hampers to low income families. Families are referred to the Kinette Club of Calgary by counsellors working in recognized social service agencies. Eligible families cannot have received a hamper from the program in the past three years.
- North East Calgary Adopt-a-Family: Families are referred by Community Resource Centres. Please contact the Resource Centre in your community and arrange for an interview.
- You can also call 2-1-1 and they will direct you to assistance.
There are many more groups and agencies that offer help during the holidays as well as throughout the rest of the year. If you have questions or are looking for assistance with a referral, please reach out to your Tenant Liaison.
[Last updated October 8, 2019]