Resources for Kids
Click through the sections below for information for parents, educational and learning website, games and activities, exercises and wellbeing that will help keep kids busy and active while at home.
Supports for Parents
Information and resources to support parents with at home learning.
Environmental Education Activities and Resources to Support Home-Based Learning – The Alberta Council for Environmental Education will continue populating this page with resources to help while kids learn at home. [Added 4/20]
My Child’s Learning: A Parent Resource – an online resource that provides parents with information on what children should be learning about, and resources to support their learning, specific to each grade level. [Added 4/20]
Engaging your kids without going crazy. By Dr. Caroline Buzanko – this PDF guide outline key foundations to build on so you can not only survive this pandemic, but thrive. You may even be able to enjoy this time with your kids together! [Added 4/14]
AHS Community Education Services – The Community Education Service (CES) provides parents and caregivers and other community members with opportunities to access free, public education sessions on child and youth emotional wellness and health topics. [Added 4/14]
There are some fantastic free online resources that offer great opportunities for children.
The following list of educational resources include spelling, language, reading, music, math and science.
- Free worksheets for kids – 123homeschool4me.com
- Spelling: Grades 1-4 – spellingtraining.com
- Languages – memrise.com
- Learning to Read – readingeggs.com
- Music – rockalingua.com
- Phonics skills – starfall.com
- Phonics worksheets – funfonix.com
- National Geographic – ngexplorer.cengage.com
- National Geographic (science) – kids.nationalgeographic.com
- Science: Mystery Doug – mysterydoug.com
- Digital resources (Library) – calgarylibrary.ca
- Math: Prodigy game – play.prodigygame.com
- Math: Khan Academy – khanacademy.org
Exercise and Wellbeing
Here are a couple of great online dance and exercise classes and channels to get the kids moving!
- CLI Studios: Free classes from dance professionals
- Comic Kids Yoga: Free Kids Yoga Resource
- Kids Bop Dance: Free Kids Dance Resource
- Ballet Nova Centre for Dance: Free live classes
- Go Noodle – Movement and mindfulness videos
- Just Dance Videos – Online dance routines
- Sami’s Circuit – Live Monday to Friday at 1pm PST
Games and Activities
From the City of Calgary
City of Calgary Resources
City of Calgary At Home Activities page – The City of Calgary has put together this handy resource to help keep active, healthy, and have fun at home! Each week, different ideas and activities will be added to keep children and families connected, engaged, and active while at home. [Added Apr 6]
Resources From Calgary Neighbourhoods (CN) – Our partners in CN have compiled two resources for parents and caregivers: Caregiver Resources and Activity Toolkit for kids. Links to education resources and activities listed in the resources document are also included below.
The Activity Kit for Kids has been designed for children aged 6-12, to help keep them occupied while at home. The kit includes a booklet of easy to follow activities that parents and caregivers can facilitate with their children. The activity kit has enough suggested resources to keep kids busy for a month with only a few simple supplies such as dice, playing cards and yarn. Other activities use regular household items. CHC is working with CN to distribute these to tenants. Download the Activity Toolkit and Caregiver Resources.