Resources for Tenants
CHC is working to maintain service for our tenants during disruptions caused by Covid-19. This tenant resource area will help to answer questions about CHC operations, link to resources from The City, health authorities and businesses, and generally provide as much helpful info as we can. Our focus is on three important ideas:
- Protect the health and safety of our tenants, staff, partners and contractors
- Take steps necessary to ensure we effectively maintain our housing operations
- Take any necessary steps to help reduce the risk of transmission of the virus
We will be updating these pages as new information becomes available. New info on these pages will be highlighted and all new content will have a "date added" tag so you can see when information was uploaded or updated.
CHC Housing Supports & Info
Click through the sections below for CHC related information.
Customer Service Counter Closure
As of Monday, March 16, CHC's Customer Service Counters will be temporarily closed.
We are taking this step out of an abundance of caution in order to reduce the risk of transmission of the virus.
If you had an appointment with someone in one of our offices, please contact them directly to make alternate arrangements.
If you do not have their contact information, please call customer service at (587) 390-1200 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are calling customer service, we ask for your patience as we expect significantly increased call volumes.
As of March 27, new protections are in place for residential and mobile homes site tenants facing financial hardship due to COVID-19:
- Tenants cannot be evicted for non-payment of rent and/or utilities before May 1, 2020.
- Rents on residential properties or mobile home sites will not increase while Alberta’s State of Public Health Emergency remains in effect.
- Late fees cannot be applied to late rent payments until June 30 and cannot be collected retroactively for this time.
- Landlords and tenants need to work together to develop payment plans while COVID-19 is being managed.
- Landlords can still file applications and receive orders for possession if the reason for the eviction is unrelated to rent and/or utility payments, or if a tenant refused to negotiate or comply with a payment plan.
Tenants are encouraged to apply for income support programs available through the Federal and Provincial governments and are expected to make their best effort to make rent payments. Unpaid rents will accumulate on your account and will be due in full, but without any penalties.
If you are having difficulty with your rent payments, please contact your Property Manager to discuss the situation before it escalates to something less manageable. We are here to work with you.
Please also review some of the resources - including financial supports - listed on the Rent Payments During Covid-19 Situation section.
How to pay rent online
Did you know you can pay your rent the same way that you pay other bills through your banking institution?
- Select ‘Calgary Housing Company’ as a bill payee.
- Use your payment account number (PAN) as your bill account number (the number provided when you signed your lease.)
- If you do not have your PAN, please call (587) 390-1200 for assistance.
- Depending on which bank you use, they may require more than 6 digits, if this is the case you may add enough zero’s in front of your account number to reach the required number of digits.
Application Submissions to Calgary Housing Company
As our Customer Service Counters are closed, we can still assist you by accepting your applications online. Applications can be sent to email@example.com.
If you have questions about your application, please contact our customer service line at (587)390-1220.
If you are a tenant and need to submit documentation please submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org
In order to minimize transmission of the coronavirus and to protect the health and safety of our tenants, partners and employees, all events on CHC sites are cancelled until further notice.
Subsidy payments are completed via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). Payments should not be interrupted as a result of our recent front counter closures.
Maintenance Requests & After Hours
Maintenance Requests & After Hours Emergencies
Calgary Housing Company is responding to all critical maintenance requests and will defer non-urgent maintenance requests to minimize coronavirus exposure of our tenants and employees. Calgary Housing Company continues to have 24-hour maintenance response by contacting our customer service line at (587)390-1200.
Safety & Security
Calgary Housing Company’s safety and security protocols remain in place. Any properties with on-site security will continue to provide the same service based on existing schedules.
Tenant Liaison Support
Email your Tenant Liaison for referrals and support or refer to the Community Support page for information on supports available in the community.
Check out these other sections with useful information.