Apply For Subsidized Housing
Apply for Subsidized Housing
The Application Process
- Review available housing programs to see if you are interested.
- Confirm you are eligible before starting your application – click here to review Eligibility Requirements.
- Review the Applicant Guide.
- Enter the portal – login or create a new account.
- Complete and submit your application.
- We review and respond
- Update your application when necessary.
Apply On-Line for Housing Programs
Applications for affordable housing programs are processed through our online portal. The portal will allow you to:
- Create an account and complete and submit your application
- Upload all documents required to support your application
- Update your application as your situation changes such as editing your neighbourhood selection, adding a pet, or any changes in your income
- Check the status of your application
- Confirm you are eligible or if there is information missing from your application.
- Review and select other housing programs you may be interested in and qualify for
- Check updates and information about other programs, supports and even other affordable housing options through our partners
You will be in control of your information and can log in at times that work for you. You no longer will have to come into our offices or call us to correct your information we know you are busy!
If you need assistance with completing your application you may:
- Refer to the Applicant User Guide or
- Email customer service at email@example.com or
- Call a Customer Service Representative at (587) 390-1200.
Eligible Applicant Information
- Applicants are reviewed, prioritized and placed on the waitlist
- Our team reviews your application to determine program placement based on regulations determining priority, level of need, unit size requirements, income qualification and community preference.
- The type of rental program offered is dependent upon priority, availability, income qualification and requested program.
- Applications remain on the waitlist until suitable accommodation becomes available.
- You must renew your application annually.
- It is your responsibility to keep your application information up-to-date.
- There are more than 6500 applicants eligible for affordable housing.
- The waitlist is not a numbered, first-come-first-served system.
- There is one waitlist for all CHC subsidized rental programs
- CHC operates several housing programs. Some of these programs are aligned with SHAR while others have different qualifications
- Social Housing Accommodation Regulations (SHAR). Applicants are prioritized in accordance with regulations and is provided on the basis of highest need as determined by source and amount of income, assets, number of dependents, current housing conditions and special circumstances.
- Other CHC housing programs may have applicants that qualify for SHAR but are not highest in need
- For these programs applicants are assessed individually and housing is based on availability, priority and income qualifications
- Priority on the waitlist can change on a daily basis
- We are unable to tell you when a unit may be offered to you.
- Calgary Housing Company offers assistance to those in need of supported housing, provided suitable accommodation is available.
- When a unit becomes available, our team immediately fills that unit with the next applicant whose individual situation matches the qualifications for that home.
Calgary Housing Company is unable to determine when or if you will be offered housing, but we encourage you to consider factors that could delay the process of finding suitable accommodation:
- Locations– Applicants may choose specific communities where they prefer to live; however limiting the number of acceptable homes may prolong the search to find affordable housing. You may consider expanding the range of communities where you would like to live.
- Pets– CHC recognizes the importance of pets to our tenants. We are actively working to make more of our homes pet-friendly. Unfortunately, not all properties accept pets. Specifying that you prefer a unit that allows pets may lengthen your wait to find affordable accommodation. You may wish to think about considering a friend, neighbour or family member to help you with your pet.
- Rental Programs– There is one application for all Calgary Housing Company subsidized rental programs; if you have limited your choice of supported housing options on your application, you will not be offered housing in any of the other programs.
- Insufficient or Incorrect Information – Applicants must provide all required information in order to be eligible for housing.
The more limitations you place on your application, the more restricted our team is in its ability to assist you with your housing needs.
Calgary Housing Company understands and anticipates that your situation/status may change from the time you originally applied for affordable housing. If this is the case, you should update your application with new information and documentation.
Changes to your application may be completed using the Applicant Portal. If you are unable to use the Applicant Portal, please use the Applicant Portal User Guide, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also call Customer Service Representative at (587) 390-1200 for help.
- Email/Telephone Number –In order to be offered a unit, Calgary Housing Company must be able to contact you either by email or telephone.
- Address –If you have moved to a new residence, update your application with the new address information. Update your change in rent at the same time.
- Utilities – If you are paying utilities such as heat, electricity or water ensure that it is reflected in your application
- Family– If the size of your household has changed (you have had a baby, have become pregnant, family members have left, or additional family members have arrived), make sure to update your application with this change in your family number.
- Suitability of your residence – Do you or does someone in your family require accessible housing? Is your home unsafe or impacting your health? Are you sharing a home with another family? If so, ensure this is reflected in your application and provide supporting documentation.
- Income/Assets– If your household income or assets have changed, you must update your application with new proof of income documentation.
- Immigration Status– Update your application with new documentation if your immigration status has changed.
- School– If you or a member of your family is now in school or has finished school, update your application with this new information.
- Special Circumstances – Eviction/Family violence – Have you been evicted from your current residence or did someone in your family have to leave your home because of violence. If so, update your application providing documentation of these circumstances.
For more information on how to update your application refer to the Applicant Portal Guide.
If you wish to remain on the waitlist, you must review and update your application every 12 months by completing .
You simply have to log in and verify the information and your file will remain active for another year. If you do not wish to renew or do not wish to remain on our waitlist do not respond and allow the application to expire. If your application expires and your circumstances change you can simply log back onto your file in the portal and reapply at any time.
Contact one of our District Offices at any time throughout the process. You do NOT need an appointment.
Only the East District Office is open at this time – appointments are strongly recommended.
The South District and West District offices remain closed for in-person visits. Secure drop-boxes are available for document drop off.