Moving In


Please review the sections below for information about moving into a CHC unit. It is important that you review this content regularly. 

Residents are responsible for contacting their local cable and telephone companies to arrange for services and be at home to give them access to install.

Written approval from your Property Manager is needed before installing a satellite dish. Dishes cannot be attached to any part of a building or fences.

  • Contact the main line at (587) 390-1200 to have your phone number programmed.
  • Your phone number must be local, not long distance
  • Tenants may not change or alter their locks.
  • If you are locked out of your unit, please call 587-390-1200 to make arrangements to have our locksmith sent out as all units must remain on our master key. Tenant charges may apply.
Mailboxes Provided By Canada Post

• If you have moved into a propery where mail service delivery is provided by a Canada Post Community Mailbox, you will need to contact Canada Post to obtain keys to your mailbox.

• A service request for new keys can be made by phone (1-866-607-6301), online at or by visiting your neighbourhood post office. Bring your lease and identification.

• CHC does not provide service for lost or stolen Canada Post Community Mailbox  keys or for damaged mailboxes.

  • If parking stalls are assigned, please park only in the stall assigned to you.
  • All other vehicles owned by you or other members of your household must be parked off-site.
  • Only licensed private passenger vehicles that are in good, road worthy operating condition are to occupy parking spaces.
  • Boats, trailers, buses, campers, recreational vehicles, commercial vehicles or oversized vehicles are not permitted to occupy parking spaces.
Paid Parking
  • If you require a parking space and have not been assigned one, please contact your Property Manager.
  • Please pay your parking fees together with your rent on or before the first of each month.
  • Give your Property Manager one calendar month’s notice in writing , if you no longer need your space.
Parking Rules And Regulations
  • Vehicle repairs and maintenance are not permitted in the parking lot or on any portion of CHC’s property at any time (including engine or tire repairs, oil changes or washing car.)
  • Parking spaces are to be kept clean and free of debris and not to be used for the storage of tires or other personal belongings.
  • Parking lot is reserved for use by you and your guests only.
  • All other illegally parked and unauthorized vehicles will be towed at the owner’s expense.
  • If you find someone else parking in your spot, contact Calgary Parking Authority in order to have their vehicle removed. They can also respond to questions about street and lane parking. Phone: 403-537-7000  or visit
Pet-Friendly Properties
  • Some Calgary Housing Company properties are designated as a pet-friendly property.
  • If pets are allowed on your property, you must still submit an application to have a pet and receive written approval from your Property Manager.
  • Proof of tenant insurance must be provided.
  • There may be restrictions on the number and type of pets permitted per households
  • The tenant is responsible for all damage resulting from the pet being housed on the premises including liability for any harm caused by the pet.
  • The tenant must ensure the premises, grounds and common areas of the interior and exterior premises are kept clean and free of pet waste and odor.
  • The tenant is responsible for the behavior of the pet. Unacceptable behavior such as barking, aggression, damages will result in a notice to immediately remove the pet from the premises and charges for all damage.
  • Cats and Dogs must be licensed with the City of Calgary and animal by-laws must be followed. Click here for information on the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw.
  • A monthly pet fee and/or deposit may be required.


No Pet Properties
  • Tenants living in properties designated as a NO PET property are not permitted to have any pets of any kind.
  • Tenants in these properties are also not permitted to pet-sit nor have pets visit.
  • Some smaller caged animals and fish are allowed with the exception of some exotic pets.
  • Refer to the table below or check with your Property Manager if you are unsure.


Permitted pets  – Applies to all housing types. Permission must still be obtained and proof of insurance provided.

  • FishMaximum tank/container size approved is 5 gallon.
  • Small frog, turtle, lizard (small, under 6 inches at full growth). Limit of 2 per household and kept in a secured aquarium.  Note that any pet requiring live food is not permitted.
  • Hamster, chinchilla or gerbil, guinea pig, ferret, miniature rabbitMust be caged. Limit of 1 per household.
  • BirdsSmall birds are limited to 2 per household. Birds must be caged.          

Pets NOT Permitted – Applies to all housing types. These pet types are never allowed in a CHC property:

  • Any pet requiring live food.
  • Spiders
  • Snakes of any size and type
  • Reptiles longer than 6 inches (adult size)
  • Poultry
  • Livestock
  • Pigeons
  • Large rabbits
  • Exotic animals
  • Pot Belly Pigs
  • Service dogs that are specially trained and registered to assist individuals with disabilities are permitted on all properties.
  • The tenant must provide the Property Manager with a copy of the identification card as described under the Alberta Service Dogs Act.

CHC operates several Community Resource Centres in collaboration with lead and supplemental agencies. These centres are located on-site within CHC managed properties and deliver needed social supports to those residents.

Supplemental agencies may provide on-going programming, or may be recruited for special events or purposes depending on the specific needs of the community.  Areas of focus foster community involvement and social integration, and programming is tailored to the needs of the residents at each Community Resource Centre.

  • CHC only insures its buildings, not your belongings
  • Your lease requires you to obtain renters insurance to cover the loss of your belongings in the event of fire, flood, theft, or other damages.
  • If you do not have insurance and your belongings are damaged, CHC is not financially responsible for replacement expenses.
Replacing your belongings can cost more than you think!
  • Add up the costs of replacing everything you own – not just your furniture, but your clothes, TV, bedding and dishes.
  • Compare the yearly cost of insurance and then decide whether insurance is a good investment for you.
  • Tenant Insurance is affordable and easy to get – many tenants will bundle it with their car insurance.

Your Residential Tenancy Agreement will indicate which utilities or additional charges you are responsible for paying.

  • Typically this includes electricity, gas and water.
  • You are always responsible for your phone, cable and/or internet.
  • Some properties might have a charge for laundry (see Your Tenancy – Laundry section.)
  • If parking is available, there may be a monthly charge (see Moving In – Parking section.)
Recent News
Tenant Handbook

In Summer 2020 we compiled a new Printable PDF version of important information for tenants. You will find details on how to connect with CHC, guidance on the programs we provide, and advice on maintenance and management of your home. Keep a copy of the PDF on your device or print your own hardcopy. Download CHC Tenant Handbook 2020

A diverse group of happy people of a wide range of ages.

Have Your Voice Heard

In early 2024 we will be reaching out to residents to gather your experiences, opinions, and ideas to inform our Anti-Racism Strategy.

You can participate by:

  • Completing the survey that will be distributed in early 2024
  • Volunteer to join a focus group (this will be available through the survey)


Watch for more information coming soon!