Calgary Housing Company offers a variety of options for individuals and families seeking affordable housing.
- Low rents – may be set as a percentage of income or may be a fixed rate
- High demand – waitlist based on priority score (not first come, first served)
- Strict Income Limits
- Unit size will be set based on family composition (how many people, how many children)
Near Market Rentals
- Rents approximately 10% below market
- No wait list – first-come, first-served based on availability
- Higher income limits, fewer qualifications to meet
- No specific bedroom numbers for household size – you can rent a larger unit based on availability
Private Landlord Rent Supplement
- Program pays a rent subsidy for private landlord rentals
- Applicants can apply for subsidy for existing rentals
- Limited availability based on program funding
- Excellent option where CHC does not have units that meet tenant needs (i.e. unit size, location, accessibility requirements, allowing pets, etc.)
Other Housing Options in the Community
Please refer to these other affordable housing and emergency/supportive options in the community which might also be able to assist you. Click the title of each agency to view their website. You can also refer to the City of Calgary’s Affordable Housing Guide.
Affordable Home Ownership
Gives families the down payment assistance they need to buy their first home.
Habitat for Humanity of Southern Alberta
Affordable home ownership for lower income Calgarians.
Owen Hart Home Owners Program
Offers people living in low-income situations the opportunity to save for a down payment for a home.
Silvera for Seniors
Safe, affordable seniors housing for lower-income Calgary seniors from all walks of life. Affordable rents based on income, and below-market rates. For more info call Silvera’s placement Team at 403-567-5301 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trinity Place Foundation of Alberta
Manages and develops seniors housing throughout the city of Calgary.
Bethany Care Society
Caring communities for seniors including continuing care programs and services.
Bishop O’Byrne Housing Association
BOBHA manages seven self-contained seniors complexes throughout the city.
Calgary Heritage Housing
Communities for senior adults that meets their need for adequate, affordable, safe and secure housing.
Alberta Community and Social Services
211 is a helpline and online database of Alberta’s community and social services.
Dial 2-1-1 from your phone or visit their website.
Confidential and available 24/7.
Safe Communities Opportunity and Resource Centre, (SORCe)
A multi-agency collaborative that connects people experiencing homelessness, or those at imminent risk of homelessness, to programs and services that can help to address the barriers to stable housing. 316 7th Ave SE | open Mon. through Fri. from 8:30am. to 4:30pm.
The Calgary Distress Centre
If you are experiencing a crisis situation and need someone to talk to.
(403) 266-HELP (4357)