Guidance for Cold Weather at Calgary Housing Company
Calgary is forecast to experience extreme cold weather from Wednesday, January 10 through to Sunday, January 14. Please take appropriate care to protect yourself, loved ones and your home. In extreme cold frost bite and hypothermia can set in extremely quickly, and open windows can lead to burst pipes. Temperatures may be lower than the reading on your thermostat if there is a wind, which compounds the effect of the cold.
For all maintenance emergencies please call CHC at 587 390-1200 and press 3.
- Please remember to keep your doors and windows shut. An open window can cause frozen pipes and or radiators.
- If you see any open windows and patio doors at any of CHC’s managed properties. Please contact the tenant or Sr. Site Manager ASAP.
- Please make sure your heat is working and call Calgary Housing Company immediately if it isn’t. All no heat calls should be reported as Urgent. Call 587 390-1200 press 3.
- Please make sure that all shared doors are fully shut as you enter and leave the property.
- If you do drive, please brush off your car completely before heading out on the road.
- If you have a property with a sidewalk and or parking stall, please do not pile snow on your neighbours property or parking stall.
If you do encounter a vulnerable person there are many warming and shelter resources available through the Calgary Homeless Foundation and their community partners including:
- HELP Team – Call (403) 998-7388. The HELP team can assist with access to shelters and health care.
- Salvation Army Mobile Warming Station – Available at rotating LRT stations throughout Calgary and offers warming, hot drinks, food and transportation to shelter from 12:00 pm to 6:00 pm. Access the schedule here.
- Parachute for Pets – Offers warming spaces for people with pets, along with overnight shelter for pets, pet supplies and connections to overnight accommodation.
- Emergencies – Call 911 if you encounter someone in serious distress or who is non-responsive.