Temporary Rent Assistance Benefit

Temporary Rent Assistance Program (TRAB)

The Temporary Rent Assistance Benefit (TRAB) is a new rent assistance program, designed to help make rent with a private landlord more affordable.

Recipient households live in private rental homes and receive a temporary monthly benefit amount to help make their rent more affordable. Calgary Housing Company is not the landlord in this program.

TRAB has now been expanded to include households outside Calgary City Limits. It is a two-year benefit program for working households or for those in between jobs. It is designed for households who may have trouble receiving priority for regular Rental Assistance Benefit (RAB) or community housing but still need help making their housing affordable. Calgary Housing Company will be administering the benefit for households in Airdrie, Cochrane, Chestermere, and the Rocky View District. 

CHC is administering TRAB on behalf of the Government of Alberta. 

Frequently Asked Questions

The TRAB amount is a flat subsidy rate varying based on household size. The TRAB program offers up to two-years of benefits that decrease by 20% in the second year. After the first year, program participants are required to submit information for review to determine Year Two eligibility.

The rates are set by the Government of Alberta annually.

To be eligible for TRAB, you must meet criteria set out in the Social Housing Accommodation Regulation including:

  • Be in core housing need.
    • living in inadequate, unsuitable, or unaffordable housing
    • income levels such that they cannot afford suitable housing in their community
    • income levels below thresholds set out by the province
  • Have a total asset value of $25,000 or less.
  • Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident (except for those who are under a private sponsorship arrangement), convention refugee, an individual who has applied for refugee or immigration status and private sponsorship has broken down.
  • Households must currently be employed or have worked in the past 24 months (2 years) at the time of application. Eligible forms of income for those who have worked in the past 24 months but may now be unemployed include:
    • Employment Insurance, Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB), and the Canada Recovery Benefit are eligible.

You can read more details about those criteria by reviewing our TRAB Overview Information Sheet.

You are not eligible for TRAB if:

  • You or anyone in the household are receiving social assistance including
    • Income Support,
    • Learner Income Support,
    • Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped,
    • Alberta Seniors Benefit,
    • Guaranteed Income Supplement or
    • Old Age Security.
  • You already receive rental assistance such as RAB (formerly DRS) or are living in social housing.

Applications for the Temporary Rental Assistance Benefit are completed and submitted on the CHC Applicant Portal – the link below will take you to the Application section of our site where you will find information on registering for the portal and completing your application as well as the link to enter the portal.

Click here to go to the Application Page.

Benefits are provided after an application has been submitted and approved. Program funding is limited – not all qualified applicants can be approved.

Applicants who are approved into the program receive their benefits on or before the first day of each month.

TRAB is a two-year program. Successful applicants will qualify for the first year benefit after which Calgary Housing Company (CHC) will conduct an income review to confirm continued eligibility.

After two years TRAB ends. If you still need assistance you can reapply for TRAB. Applications, including those submitted by previous recipients, will be reviewed on a first-come first-served basis.

Your landlord will be the individual or organization with whom you have a tenancy agreement. Calgary Housing Company (CHC) is not the landlord.

Your agreement with CHC is only for the Temporary Rental Assistance Benefit program.

Please email our office at chccustomerservice@calgary.ca or call (587) 390-1200 if you have any additional questions about the Temporary Rental Assistance Benefit (TRAB) program.

Additional information

Payment Schedule

Payments for the Rent Assistance Benefit (RAB) and Temporary Rent Assistance Benefit (TRAB) are released to your bank to be available on or before the first of the month.

If you do not receive an expected payment on the first of the month, please contact your Rent Supplement Administrator as there may be an issue with your Annual Rent Review.

A diverse group of happy people of a wide range of ages.

Have Your Voice Heard

In early 2024 we will be reaching out to residents to gather your experiences, opinions, and ideas to inform our Anti-Racism Strategy.

You can participate by:

  • Completing the survey that will be distributed in early 2024
  • Volunteer to join a focus group (this will be available through the survey)


Watch for more information coming soon!