Transfer Information For Residents

Transfer Information for Residents

When a request is made to transfer to a new unit for reasons related to health, safety or security, we try our best to accommodate these requests.

Decisions about approving a request to transfer to a new unit must be made to also consider the need to serve our waitlist and the 4,500 households in our community waiting for access to affordable housing, as well as the cost to turn-over units during a transfer.

Below is information about the types of transfers you can apply for as well as the approval criteria.

If you have questions, please contact your Property Manager or our Customer Service Line at 587-390-1200.

Type of Transfers

There are two situations where a resident can apply to transfer to another unit within Calgary Housing subsidized units. Click below to expand the section and learn more.

Calgary Housing Company takes resident safety and family violence seriously and strives to work quickly to relocate families and householders who are experiencing, or at risk of violence.

If you require an Emergency Transfer, you can contact your Property Manager. We may request one of the following documents to complete the transfer:

  • A copy of an Emergency Protection Order;
  • A support letter from Calgary Police Services or another agency that can confirm the imminent safety or security risk

You may be eligible for a transfer to another unit during the course of your lease if you meet one of the following:

  • Are under housed, meaning your unit is too small in terms of the number of bedrooms required outlined in the Housing Occupancy Standards through the Government of Canada
  • Are over housed, meaning your unit is too large based on the number of bedrooms required outlined in the Housing Occupancy Standards through the Government of Canada
  • Have a medical or health condition that is directly related to, or made worse by your current housing unit

Transfer requests may also be considered where there are significant social issues that are negatively impacting the household. Please talk to your Property Manager to learn more.

Qualifying for a Transfer

To qualify for a transfer, a tenant may be required to meet the following criteria below:

  • Have lived in your current unit for a minimum of one year
  • Be in good standing with your tenancy and not have received an eviction notice in the past 12 months
  • Have no outstanding debt including chargebacks, rent arrears or audit arrears

***the above qualifying list does not apply to Emergency transfers

If you qualify for and would like to request a transfer, please fill out the Tenant Transfer Request Form and submit it to your Property Manager.

How to Apply for a Transfer

Download and complete the Request for Transfer form and mail it or deliver in person to one of our offices, with “Attention Tenant Transfer” noted.

Frequently Asked Questions

Click through the sections below for answers to some frequently asked questions.

If my transfer request is approved, how long will it take to obtain a transfer to another unit? 

The transfer list is served chronologically (first come, first served) by when a tenant is placed on the list and when a unit becomes available that meets their needs (e.g. a three bedroom unit in the NW)

If I have a pet, will my transfer request automatically include transferring to a unit that allows pets?

Yes, where it is possible based on the unit available in the locations identified as safe and suitable by the tenant on the Tenant Transfer Request Form. If you would like more information on locations with units that allow pets, please visit one of our District Offices or call 587-390-1200.

How much notice will I receive when a unit becomes available to allow time to pack my belongings and arrange to move to the new unit? 

Calgary Housing Company staff will provide as much notice as possible to allow tenants time to organize and prepare to move to another location.  After viewing the unit offered and signing a new lease agreement, tenants are permitted two weeks to move out of their current location. If a need arises for additional time to move, tenants are encouraged to discuss any concerns with their Property Manager.

Will the amount I pay in rent change if I move to a new unit?

If the transfer is an Emergency transfer the rent amount will automatically remain the same as it was in your previous unit.

However, if the transfer is a Priority transfer and it has been longer than 3 months since your last Annual Rent Review, the Leasing Agent will ask you to provide bank statements and additional income verification documents.  The rent amount may change as a result.

Recent News
Tenant Handbook

In Summer 2020 we compiled a new Printable PDF version of important information for tenants. You will find details on how to connect with CHC, guidance on the programs we provide, and advice on maintenance and management of your home. Keep a copy of the PDF on your device or print your own hardcopy. Download CHC Tenant Handbook 2020

A diverse group of happy people of a wide range of ages.

Have Your Voice Heard

In early 2024 we will be reaching out to residents to gather your experiences, opinions, and ideas to inform our Anti-Racism Strategy.

You can participate by:

  • Completing the survey that will be distributed in early 2024
  • Volunteer to join a focus group (this will be available through the survey)


Watch for more information coming soon!