Government of Alberta Emergency Financial Assistance may be available for families and individuals facing an unexpected emergency. You can find out more here.
Utility payment deferrals for residential - customers can defer their utility bill payments for the next 90 days and no one will be cut off from these services during the crisis. This includes electricity and natural gas. [View 90-day utility payment deferral PDF]
Student loans repayment holiday - The government will implement a six-month, interest-free moratorium on Alberta student loan payments for all individuals who are in the process of repaying these loans.
Rental Protection during COVID-19
[Added 3/27] New protections are in place for residential and mobile homes site tenants facing financial hardship due to COVID-19:
- Tenants cannot be evicted for non-payment of rent and/or utilities before May 1, 2020.
- Rents on residential properties or mobile home sites will not increase while Alberta’s State of Public Health Emergency remains in effect.
- Late fees cannot be applied to late rent payments until June 30 and cannot be collected retroactively for this time.
- Landlords and tenants need to work together to develop payment plans while COVID-19 is being managed.
- Landlords can still file applications and receive orders for possession if the reason for the eviction is unrelated to rent and/or utility payments, or if a tenant refused to negotiate or comply with a payment plan.
Tenants are encouraged to apply for income support programs available through the Federal and Provincial governments.