Heavy Rainfall Warning Issued for Calgary
A rainfall warning has been issued for the City of Calgary by Environment and Climate Change Canada.
“A prolonged and significant rainfall event will bring 75 to 125 mm of rain by Wednesday morning. Heavy rain will continue to spread north this morning. Rain will persist over the area until Wednesday. Locally higher rainfall totals of 150 mm or more are possible.”
This warning has triggered alerts of possible flooding in Calgary. Alberta Environment has also issue high stream flow advisories for rivers including the Bow and Elbow.
Residents in flood zones are advised to be prepared
The City of Calgary has a large amount of information on calgary.ca including:
- Flood Maps – Find out if you are at risk for flooding and info on how to prepare
- Flood Readiness Guide (pdf download):
- A page with links for finding up to date information
Calgary Housing Company residents are reminded to keep doors and windows closed during rainfalls. If you see flooding, drains backing up into your home, downed trees or any other hazards on a CHC property please call CHC immediately at (587) 390-1200
Tips on how to prepare for potential flooding from Calgary.ca:
Keep everyone safe and reduce your risk.
- Make an evacuation plan and include your pets. Determine where you will go, what you will take, and how you will communicate with family and friends.
- Create a 72-hour kit that includes medication, important documents and items you may need if you evacuate or shelter-in-place.
- Move valuables and documents out of the basement.
- Direct downspouts away from building foundations.
- Stay informed about weather and river conditions. Check conditions before you go out and download an app that can alert you to emergency conditions.