June 21 is National Indigenous People’s Day
On June 21, Canada will be celebrating National Indigenous People’s Day, a day to recognize and celebrate the cultures and contributions of Indigenous peoples from across Canada. Let’s gather together – online – to celebrate the rich cultures and stories of Indigenous peoples in Alberta.
Join Calgary Housing Company as we recognize the importance and sacred nature of cultural ceremonies and celebrations that usually occur during this time. While celebrations and events for National Indigenous History Month may be different this year than those in the past, we can still share and learn from stories, traditions and culture in new ways that keep us together and connected.
There are events happening throughout the week and weekend, including a large number being led by Alberta Health Services (AHS).
Morning Song | Daily
Sherryl Sewepagaham leads us in a song each morning this week at 9:00 a.m. for as part of AHS’ National Indigenous Peoples Week celebrations. [Listen live via Zoom]
June 18 & 19: AHS Lunch time Learning Sessions [Register via Eventbrite]
Leading up to National Indigenous Peoples Day on June 21, AHS is pleased to present lunchtime learnings from Indigenous leaders online via Zoom. All are welcome, and we invite you to sign up for as many sessions as you would like. Please feel free to share the link as only those who are registered will be able to participate.
- Thursday, June 18 @ 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. – Remembering a way of life: Storytelling with Geraldine Potts
- Thursday, June 18 @ 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. – Sharing from the Alberta Native Friendship Centers
- Friday, June 19 @ 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. – Outreach work and community experiences in “the new normal”
June 19: National Indigenous Peoples Day virtual celebration | June 19 from 12-12:30pm | Hosted by Alberta Aboriginal Training and Jobs via Facebook. Bringing together the province to celebrate Indigenous culture and creativity online. Join Minister Rick Wilson and guest performers in an afternoon of Indigenous song, dance and celebration. [View More]
June 21: National Indigenous People’s Day Virtual Pow Wow and Celebration | June 21 from from 12-5pm | The summer solstice is a culturally significant day for many Indigenous peoples and is now acknowledged by celebrations held in towns, cities and First Nations communities across Canada. Join virtually in this online celebration on June 21, 2020. [Learn More]
- Aboriginal Awareness Week Calgary
- 2020 National Indigenous Peoples Day Celebrations from AHS
- CBC’s 35 books to read for National Indigenous History Month
- The Honouring Mother Earth Committee
Indigenous Awareness Resources
- Métis Nation of Alberta
- Government of Alberta: National Indigenous History Month
- Government of Canada: History of Indigenous peoples in Canada
- Importance of National Indigenous History Month
- Aboriginal Standing Committee on Housing & Homelessness
Indigenous Supports & Resources
- Aboriginal Friendship Centre of Calgary
- Indigenous Programs and Services Listing from the City of Calgary
- Additional Aboriginal Support Resources from the City of Calgary
- Indigenous Services from the Calgary Public Library
- Indigenous Initiatives Boys & Girls Club of Calgary
- Indigenous Health from Alberta Health Services