Calgary’s Neighbour Day June 20, 2020
Neighbour Day is a yearly celebration of Calgary’s strong community spirit. It started in 2014 in honour of the incredible support and generosity Calgarians showed after the 2013 floods. Now it’s an opportunity to connect with our neighbours, show how we care for each other and celebrate how we make Calgary a great city.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it is more important than ever that we connect with our neighbours. But we must do so while practicing physical distancing to keep everyone safe. We are encouraging all Calgarians to plan and host virtual events and try some of the activities below with your neighbours.
How to plan for Neighbour Day
Hosting a virtual event via video chat or phone is the safest way to connect with your neighbours this year. Reach out to your neighbours to help plan your event details, such as:
- What video chat tool will you use? (Microsoft Teams, Zoom, FaceTime, Google Hangouts, etc.)
- Who will schedule the event online and send invitations?
- Who will prepare the materials you need for your event activities?
- What activities will you do during your virtual event? You could:
- Share a virtual meal or BBQ;
- Share your acts of kindness with one another;
- Help support Calgary businesses (e.g. order delivery or takeout from a local restaurant, purchase local goods, etc.);
- See ideas below; or
- Make up your own way to celebrate your community spirit!
Don’t forget to share your experience with the City of Calgary on social media using #yycNeighbourDay!
Share your celebrations online!
Share your Neighbour Day celebrations on any social media platform using #yycNeighbourDay for a chance to be featured on City channels.
Check out what the City of Calgary has put together for our community to celebrate neighbor day in a bit of a different way, including fun community based activities you can do as a family, or safely with your neighbours!
For the Whole Family [PDF Downloads]
Links and Resources
Adapted from Neighbour Day information from the City of Calgary. For more information, ideas and resources visit the City of Calgary June 20, 2020 Neighbour Day Page