Local State of Emergency and Outdoor Activities
The local State of Emergency in Calgary continues, with public events cancelled through August 31, 2020 and with limited or restricted access to public spaces. See below for outdoor related information gathered from The City of Calgary and stay tuned for more information on what to expect with CHC spring and summer programs.
Spring Cleanups at CHC Properties
Due to continued uncertainty around how long gathering size restrictions will be in place, The City has cancelled all community cleanup events scheduled for 2020. This includes community cleanups at Calgary Housing Company properties.
CHC Community Gardens
Calgary Housing Company Tenant Liaisons are looking into some options to support tenant gardening at CHC properties. An update will be provided when more information becomes available.
City Community Gardens
Currently, city community gardens remain open for use for the 2020 growing season. Each community garden group is responsible to create an action plan for managing:
- Physical distancing of 2 meters.
- Movement of people in or out of the gardens.
- Ensuring there is adherence to best practices for the cleaning and disinfection of tools, surfaces, gates or garden boxes.
The City will open watering systems beginning mid-May, weather pending. They will also be supporting existing community gardens with additional soil or compost. Communities should contact 311 and ask for their Parks Community Strategist.
Visit The City’s COVID-19 (Coronavirus): Outdoor spaces and parks and scroll to ‘Community Gardens and COVID-19’ for more information.
Reminder About City Facility Closures and Cancellations
To help prevent the spread of COVID-19, several facilities and services remain closed to the public or have limited access with appropriate physical distancing measures. The following closures and restrictions are in effect as of May 8 and are subject to change:
- Playfields and ball diamonds: Open for non-organized, passive use only with appropriate physical distancing
- Recreation facilities, regional athletic parks, playgrounds: Closed to all users
- Golf Courses: Open with physical distancing restrictions. COVID-19 City golf course protocols.
- Park spaces, natural areas and pathways: Open with physical distancing guidelines in effect. Read more for information on safer use of skate parks, play fields, disc golf courses, tennis courts, etc. Learn more:COVID-19 (Coronavirus): Outdoor spaces and parks
Neighbour Day – June 20, 2020
They City has not yet announced plans for Neighbour Day activities, however Mayor Nenshi is asking people to reach out to him on Twitter and Instagram using the hashtag #yycneighbourday to share ideas on how we can spend time with our neighbours and celebrate neighbor day while remaining physically apart. Read: Find a way for us to celebrate Neighbour Day during COVID-19, said Mayor Nenshi
Outdoor spaces and parks
As the weather warms up, it is natural to want to get outside to enjoy some sun and fresh air. However, The City reminds us if we go out, spread out. This means outside of those who live in your household, you must practice physical distancing in all outdoor spaces. Please ensure you are aware of the rules and guidelines to help limit the spread of COVID-19 when enjoying outdoor spaces in Calgary including city parks and pathways. Learn more by visiting COVID-19 (Coronavirus): Outdoor spaces and parks from The City.
All public events have been cancelled until August 31, 2020 due to COVID-19. The following events and programs included:
- All Community Associations will be closed and regular programming cancelled.
- City events and activities at Devonian Gardens, until further notice.
- Fire Safety Presentations, until further notice.
- Fire Station Tours, until further notice.
- Fire Truck Bookings, until further notice.
- Municipal Complex Tours, until further notice.
- Surplus Furniture Sales, until further notice.
- Volunteer Tour Guide Program, until further notice.
- YYC Tree education workshops.
To view the full list of event cancellations visit COVID-19 Facility Closures and click events cancellations