Tips for preventing mold and pests
The moisture and humidity of summer along with spending more time outside can create circumstances for mold and pests. Follow these tips to prevent mold and pests in and around your home.
Preventing mold in your home
Mold seeks moisture, warmth and food to grow, so you can prevent mold from growing by controlling moisture and keeping your home dry. Following these tips and can prevent mold from growing in and around your home.
- Maintain correct room temperature (Between 16* Celcius (61*F) and 21* Celsius (70*F) and air circulation.
- When cooking, open a window or turn on exhaust fans if available.
- Turn on bathroom exhaust fan (where equipped) for at least 15 minutes after a shower or bath.
- Increase the airflow in your home: keep interior doors open, keep furniture one inch from the wall and open your curtains and/or blinds.
- Do not hang blankets on windows as this traps moist air, and reduce the amount of materials you store that collect moisture such as fabrics, paper, and wood.
- Keep your unit clean at all times to allow for good ventilation and airflow.
Refer to additional information on mold from the Government of Alberta for more.
Preventing pests in your home
To avoid attracting pests, rodents or stray animals, please help keep your home and surroundings clean and free of garbage and debris.
If you notice pests such as bed bugs, cockroaches or mice in your unit, please call your Maintenance Administrator or (587) 390-1200.