Important Social Housing Accommodation Regulation (SHAR) Changes
Effective January 1, 2018
As part of the Government of Alberta’s Affordable Housing Strategy, changes have been made to SHAR which determines how Calgary Housing Company manages its waitlist – including eligibility and placement of applicants into housing.
What Do I Need to Know?
- The changes made to the Regulations are intended to ensure Albertans in need of affordable housing are prioritized in a consistent manner.
- The changes made will also support households to develop savings, and remove barriers to continued employment or requiring households to use up savings before being considered eligible for affordable housing
- A highlight of some of the changes include:
- The asset limit for households has been increased from $7,000 to $25,000
- There is no limit on a household’s primary vehicle; and a second vehicle may be exempt as well if it is a work vehicle (e.g. a work van or taxi)
- Savings accounts are exempt from income calculations for eligibility and rent including:
- Tax Free Savings Account
- Registered Education Savings Plan
- Registered Disability Saving Plan
- Registered Retirement Saving Plan
- There is no penalty for additional assets (such as work tools)
- Bursaries, scholarships and working income from dependents enrolled full-time in school will not be included in the income calculations for eligibility or rent.
- You will not be required to submit a new application to Calgary Housing Company.
- Calgary Housing Company staff are currently reviewing and updating all applications on our waiting list in light of these changes, and may contact you if we require more information.
To learn more visit www.seniors-housing.alberta.ca
Or call Calgary Housing Company office at 587-390-1200 to speak to a Customer Service Representative